Wednesday, July 24, 2013

NOTD: Water spotting

I've been meaning to update with some of the cool new stuff I got from the Born Pretty Store, but I keep not uploading the stuff to my computer. In the meantime, here's a little bit of nail art I had sitting around in my drafts folder for a while. I've been holding off because I want to post the swatches of this collection first, but since this post is all ready to go, the swatches will have to come later!

I recently came across a technique I'd never heard of before called 'water spotting'. In the pictures I'd seen, it looked like an easier method to create a splatter manicure look, and that's still my impression after trying it. It's still a very messy method, but there's a lot less fuss.

More pictures and instructions on how to recreate the look after the jump!


Polishes used:
WOW cosmetics- 434 (black)
WOW cosmetics- 307 (green)
WOW cosmetics- 308 (yellow)
WOW cosmetics- 318 (pink)
WOW cosmetics- 328 (orange)

Basically, I used all of the WOW neons besides for the red. I have swatch photos of them, now I just have to organize them into a post!

The technique is fairly simple. You will need the following:
  • Masking tape or sellotape (optional)
  • A cup of water
  • A spray with a high alcohol content (most hand sanitizers many body scents or other cosmetics)
  • Cleanup tools
Using these tools, follow the instructions:
  • Line the skin around your nails with tape, so any excess polish will not be stuck to your fingers (optional- it isn't hard to clean up the excess with a q-tip and acetone)
  • Take a drop of polish and put it on the surface of the water, exactly how you'd do a water marble
  • Instead of putting on more drops, spray a small amount of alcohol onto the polish once it has spread. This will create tiny uneven holes in the polish
  • Dip your finger into the water with your nail parallel to the surface (it is possible to do more than one nail at once)
  • Before removing your finger, gather the excess polish with a q tip or a toothpick
  • Repeat this process with as many colors as you want
  • Clean up around your cuticles and seal in with a clear top coat
  • Enjoy!
It is important to move quickly, since the polish can dry and congeal on the surface of the water if you take too much time.

If people want, I would be happy to create a photo or a video tutorial, although there are already many such tutorials out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...